- 3 cups flour (plus a little more for kneading)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 3 tablespoons shortening
1. In a bowl, beat the water, egg, egg white and vinegar together. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the 3 cups of flour and salt.
3. Cut the shortening into the flour mix with a pastry blender or two butter knives. Make a well in the center of the flour mix and pour the liquid ingredients from the first bowl into the center.
4. Mix the wet and dry ingredients with a fork until it becomes stiff.
5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead it just until all the flour is incorporated and the dough is smooth.
6. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, but never more than 24 hours.
- 1 cup diced cooked turkey
- 1/2 jar Happy Hal’s Black Bean Bruschetta
- 1/4 cup chipotle sauce
- 1/2 cup diced roasted red pepper
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Mix. That’s it. Really.
To make empanadas, take dough and divide into 10 pieces. Roll into balls and then roll out to about 6″ circles. Fill with a couple of tablespoons of filling. Fold over and crimp edges with a fork to seal.
Fry in a bit of hot oil until browned.