adapted from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day
(makes about 4 loaves)
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated yeast (2 packets)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup honey (this is my all time favorite!)
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 7 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
Mix the yeast, salt, eggs honey and melted butter with the water in a 5-quart bowl, or lidded (not airtight) food container.
Mix in the flour, using a spoon until all of the flour is incorporated.
Cover (not airtight), and allow to sit at room temperature for about two hours.
The dough can be used as soon as it is chilled. This dough is way too sticky to use after the initial rise, but once it is chilled it is very easy to handle.
Preheat oven to 350°F, and then line baking sheets with parchment paper. Divide the dough into 3 ounce pieces, and roll into a ball on a lightly floured surface.
Place the baking sheet in the fridge for 15 minutes and then bake for 15-19 minutes until golden brown.